Saturday, April 30, 2005

Freedom of Speech

Most of my regular readers will know that I'm pro-military and generally in favor of the "War on Terror". I take a lot of pride in realizing that not everybody is in favor of it. Some people don't like war period, others don't like the way it's being run, and others just have a hard-on for anything anti-George W. Bush.

And that's fine with me.

Of all things in the Constitution, the part I cherish the most is the 1st Amendment. If not for this amendment, our country wouldn't be what it is today, nor would anyone be able to have blogs, etc.

I try not to be overly critical when someone expresses their freedom of speech when it comes to ideas and opinions I don't like. I try my best to take a deep breath and say "it's going to be ok". It's because of this, that I'm not going to slam the owner of this website. His name(supposedly) is Michael Crook has he is decidedly anti-military. Not just anti-Bush or anti-war in Iraq. The man hates soldiers, refers to them as scumbags, leeches, etc. He openly rejoices when soldiers are killed and proudly displays pictures of them on his website.

The man is truly misguided, but I won't get into the name calling that some military members are using on his website. In fact, I won't even post a comment on his website. Being a member of the U.S. Military is something to be proud of in my opinion. It's not a job for everyone, and having an all volunteer force makes it the greatest military in the world. They make sacrifices that others aren't willing to make. This is my opinion, and you may not agree. Certainly Mr. Crook doesn't agree. What we do agree on, is that freedom of speech should be protected, no matter how much you disagree with what you hear.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home