Wednesday, April 27, 2005

Abortion

If there is any one political topic sure to polarize a group of people, it's got to be abortion.

For once I'm not going to offer a specific solution here, because try as I may, I haven't come up with an answer over the last 6 years or so that I think would work. I will however, offer my opinion on the matter.

I'll start of by saying I'm not in favor of abortion for the most part. Sure, there are instances where most people feel it's appropriate such as a situation like rape. Others will include incest and the life of the mother in that clause, but I won't and I'll get to that in a bit.

The hardest part about abortion is there are so many dynamics to consider. Some are against it because of religious beliefs, but sometimes I find that a little hypocritical. You're against abortion because the church says it's wrong, but I bet you use condoms so you don't get pregnant right? Others want to debate when life begins. Well, I guess my feeling is that life begins when the heart beats. That's my personal opinion though.

Others will argue for women's body-women's choice. Well, ok.. but if it's your body and your choice, should it be a man's choice not to pay child support if you choose to keep the child? Sexual reproduction isn't something you do by yourself so why should you get sole choice on whether to abort or not? That aspect doesn't really seem fair.

As I mentioned earlier, some who aren't in favor of abortion are willing to grant exemptions for incest and the life of the mother. Surely those seem like good reasons, and I'm aware that when people say incest, they mean men who rape children, but I don't think two 20 something siblings should be able to abort simply because they are related, and I don't think expectant mothers should be granted an automatic pass simply because their life may be in danger if they knew the risk before becoming pregnant.

To sum up my opinion on abortion, I think it should be a matter of personal responsibility, just like numerous other issues around the world. That's why I offer no particular solution. Try as we might, it's darn near impossible to force responsibility on people who aren't willing. When I hear about women getting abortions, particularly people I know, it sort of makes me sad. Not so much for the unborn baby, as it does for the lack of personal responsibility on the part of the woman and the man involved. I'd like to see as few abortions as possible performed, and I don't just say that as a sound bite to kowtow to the pro-choice folks out there. I really believe it. I'd like to see as many options considered as possible before aborting a baby to include adoption, but there are already so many kids living in foster homes waiting for the chance that it's not a strong argument.

I don't think increased and innovative ways to teach sexual education or handing out condoms with the kid's milk at school is the answer either. It seems as if our generation is determined to shrug off responsibility for it's actions. Until couples are willing to take responsibility for their actions debating the abortion issue is a lot like a dog chasing it's tail.

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

you know i think that abortion is absoluteky wrong. if you are raped, go to the damn doctor and they have a morning after pill that yoou can take that stops the egg from attaching and becoming a baby. That would eliminate abortions to be right since you would know you were raped and should go get it done before it even starts to develope. i do agree that if it is going to kill the mother that after plenty of medical tests that prove it will harm the mother they should be allowed to if by their choice. but besides that i do not think that abortion should be accepted at all. you know if you are out having sex, then you should have to take the responsibility that you may have a child. although there are a lot of people that kill their child once it is born or take it and dump it in a dumpster or something, you know there are plenty of people who are unable to get pregnant that would love you adopt a baby. but anyhow, that is my opinion in abortion.

10:54 PM  
Blogger Derek said...

I wonder if you feel the same way if you were to get pregnant say uh tomorrow ?

11:07 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

um, yes i would cuz ya know i am the one who is chosing to have sex, so no there is no way in hell that i would get an abortion if i were to get pregnant tomorrow, even thought that is the last thing in the world that i want right now is a baby, but ya know that you be my responsibility,

4:58 PM  
Blogger Mark said...

Since I've had 2 kids I can say that you really don't know your position on abortion until you're faced with the news. That's not a dig on you Jodi, it's just what I've experienced and others I know have experienced. I was totally anti-abortion for many years, but when my wife got pregnant, I have to admit that the abortion option crossed my mind for about 2 seconds.. although we never actually discussed it together.

5:35 PM  
Blogger Derek said...

I concur

4:46 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

what the hell you mean you concur?

8:54 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I wanted an abortion when I got pregnant, and my boyfriend promised it would be an adventure.
I know this is an old blog, but I had to say that I'm so glad I never went through with it. I absolutely LOVE being a mom. There's no greater accomplishment or joy in the world. It's sad that some aren't in a position to see that, but it's still a woman's own personal choice, in my opinion.

3:24 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home